Sunday, May 6, 2007

Afghani Stan Sand Squid

Here is a tune you might remember, I have changed the lyrics to fit my situation.

Afghani Stan Sand Squid (sung to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies)

Come and listen to a story about a man named Wade
an old Navy man, nearly put his papers in.
Then one day, he was working on some bills,
and out from the phone came a jingling sound

Call that is, recall, Augmentee.
Well the first thing you know old Wade's an active guy.
Reserve folks said, "Wade move away from there."
Said "Middle East is the place you out to be."
So he loaded up his bags and moved to Afghani

Stan, that is, desert sand, Taliban.

It's kind of interesting how life here is like a TV show, only it is in reruns. There is a saying here regarding deployment, "Groundhog Day" because pretty much most of the days are the same. We get up, we work, we eat, we sleep, try to entertain ourselves and then we do it all over again just counting down the days. I do get the benefit of having a pretty dynamic job however, so there are many opportunities for me to keep very busy trying to solve the problems of the supply system over here. It is much different than being in the states where we can get supplies relatively quickly. Here the lead times on getting goods can be 6 months due to the need to contract for everything. There is much to do if we are ever going to get Afghanistan to be a world class supply chain. Of course, we are here to make it better and every day that is what we strive to do, make it better, one step at a time.

I was sipping on can of Diet Pepsi (they don't have Coke Zero here) and I wondered when was the last time you saw a pull tab on a can of soda in the states. I think we got rid of them back in the 70's. Here in Afghanistan they still have the pull tabs and it does make you have to think for a second that you have to throw the pull tab away. Everyone here does a pretty good job of making sure they end up in the trash can. I would hate to see an old Afghan guy with a tear in his eye. (So that is an old reference to the commercial in the 70's where a Native American watched people polute and a tear came to his eye). Of course here in Afghanistan, I don't think anyone really cares about pollution. The streets are a mess and the air is filled with pollution. Those people at CARB (California Air Resources Board) would have a field day with fines over here. Not that anyone could ever pay any of them.

My week was filled with my continued learning process as I take over the operations of the Central Supply Depots for Afghanistan. I have been looking at reports, reading e-mail, taking care of problems and continuing to build my team here. It sounds like I am back at WD-40. There is so much to do and only a year to do it in. I certainly realize I can't do everything and that is not really my mission here. I am here to do my part to raise the bar a bit and make the Afghan Army operate a little better. It will take some real focus here as there could be so many priorities. I am still travelling all over Kabul going to various warehouse sites and headquarters buildings. I am being safe and I make sure that my team is doing the same.

(you have to sing again, you remember the tune)

Well now its time to say goodbye to Wade and all his thoughts.
And he would like to thank you folks for kindly droppin' in.
You're all invited back again to this reality
To have a heapin helpin of some more verbosity

Narmy life, that is. Set a spell. Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Peace to you all,

Pat
www.wadeaminute.blogspot.com
Next week I will give you the origin of my blog name. We in the business call that a teaser, so you will come back next week.

No comments: