Monday, June 18, 2007

TV

You might notice this update is a little late. Our internet service was out for a while, but now I am back. You also may have been reading news stories about events in Afghanistan, there is more activity going on now from insurgents and this puts everyone a little on edge. This is the time we really need to focus on our security and all the training we have had. Everyone has to make sure they do not take any unnecessary risks. We are all reminded that this is a war zone.

This was a pretty standard week for work, no special visitors, just business as usual. Still working on inventory, improving processes and training our Afghan counterparts. It is really quite rewarding to know we are making a difference for Afghanistan. Our Navy team is working hard and they are still quite enthusiastic. It has been two months here in Afghanistan and I know that it will get tougher for our team as the length of time away from family and friends wears on people. There is free time to relax; you just don't want too much free time. Being busy helps, idleness just makes you think of what you are missing. My job as a leader is to make sure we all do our jobs and come home safely.

One of the things we can enjoy in our free time is TV. It is called AFN, Armed Forces Network. There are 10 channels that show regular TV including sports (I was keeping up with the US Open), news and prime time shows. We tend to get the prime time shows a little late, but it is better than nothing and for the most part they are new to us. We also have a movie channel, no HBO which is a bummer because I missed the Sopranos (don't tell me how it ends). The strangest thing about TV is that I sort of miss regular commercials. At home I have the DVR and can fast forward past the commercials if I want, so it is funny that I miss them now. On AFN, we get commercials that tell us about how to drive courteously, or remember OPSEC (Operational Security) or not to drink and drive (kind of a waste since we can't drink anyway). Basically, it is filled with public service messages, so now I have no idea what to spend money on. I must rely on the fact that Rebecca will figure out how to spend our money.

I forgot to mention last week that I moved to a new room in what we call Legoland (a bunch of containers all lined up together on top of each other). (Editor's Note: You can tell this is Patrick's room... who else would decorate with a WD-40 Can Sticker in their window?)I am now in a "double wide" room. You might be a redneck if... when you move into a double wide, you think it is a palace. I think part of the strategy for making me move into a small room (remember it was 9' by 7') is that when you get upgraded, you do think you have really moved up in the world. My new room is 18' by 7' and it has a separation. So one room is the bedroom and the other room is the office, living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room. The bathroom is still down a walkway about 30 yards. I am sure that will be fun in the winter. I bet if I moved into this right away I would not have been as pleased with the accommodations as I am now.

Back on the homefront, school is out for the summer. I am sure it will be fun filled summer with lots of activities. Rebecca's job is keeping her very busy and she is planning Madigan's 6th birthday party, helping with a wedding shower for our former babysitter, Stacey (can't believe she is getting married, time is flying) and planning our good friend Linda's 60 th birthday party. My life is simple compared to Rebecca's.

Did you know what June 14th was this week? Yes it was one day after my wedding anniversary. It was not our best anniversary so far; kind of hard to celebrate long distance. Too bad because this one was our 15th wedding anniversary, and I think that is supposed to be something special. I know 16 years will be way more special. I am very lucky to have found (and kept) Rebecca. OK back to June 14th, I bet you said it was Flag Day and you are right, but it is a special day for one other reason... it was the 231st birthday of the Army. You should have seen the celebration here. I even had a beer (near beer, but it tasted like beer as far as I can remember). OK it was not that big a celebration, but we should remember the Army's birthday. We should also remember the Navy's birthday on October 13th (1775 same year as the Army)... and don't forget the Marine Corps who celebrates their birthday on November 10th (1775). Wow 1775 was a busy year. And I guess we should remember the Air Force who celebrates 60 years on September 18th (1947).

Since its birth on 14 June 1775-over a year before the Declaration of Independence-the United States Army has played a vital role in the growth and development of our nation. Soldiers have fought more than 10 wars, from the American Revolution through the Cold War, the Gulf War, to the current Global War on Terrorism. This year's theme is "Call to Duty – Boots on the Ground." (I can relate to that).

For all you fathers out there, Happy Father's Day (a day late). This wasn't my best Father's Day either if you were wondering.

Peace to you all,

Pat

No comments: