Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Turnover

Turnover, what is he talking about? Well, I am not talking about a tasty pastry or what you do at night when you can't sleep. Turnover is a term we use to explain a transfer of responsibilities to another person. That is what I have been focusing on these past couple weeks. (Yes, I missed my last update and I will explain a bit later). I have been writing down a long list of items to explain to my relief, Greg. I have to make sure he understands all the responsibilities of the Operations area that I currently oversee. We are going through some presentations and have some site visits planned. I hope to be done with my turnover in another couple weeks. Then I will be here to backup Greg as he runs things. There are plenty of projects underway, so I am sure he will need some extra support. My actual numerical relief will not be here until mid March, but since he is not relieving me of my current position, I am transferring my duties to Greg who is currently in theatre.

It has been two weeks since my last update because our internet was affected by the cutting of communications cable in the Mediterranean Sea near Egypt. So Walt Disney was absolutely right when he said, "It's a Small World Afterall". Or for you more modern types you might prefer Thomas Friedman's, "The World is Flat". It is truly amazing that a cable cut in Egypt afffected the internet in Afghanistan, but it did. We normal service was restored within about a week, but during that week we had limited access to the internet.

My time is getting short, in fact I will leave Afghanistan in less than two months. It is hard to believe it is almost over.

Back on the homefront the kids are going to school and playing sports. Madigan LOVES softball, Rebecca thinks it has something to do with Madigan's best friend being on the team. Thomas starts baseball soon and Rebecca will be shuttling the kids to various locations for practice and games. Rebecca is staying busy with work, the kids and projects around the house.

Peace to you all,

Pat

No comments: